Monday, January 26, 2009

Covenant School Coach Fired

An interesting twist has developed in the story I wrote about this weekend. The coach from the winning team of the 100-0 basketball game has been fired. He has stated that he "did not agree with the apology" or the statement posted by his school regarding the incident. He further stated, "We played the game as it was meant to be played. My values and my beliefs would not allow me to run up the score on any opponent, and it will not allow me to apologize for a wide-margin victory when my girls played with honor and integrity." This raises the question about philosophy of competition. Should a superior team never "back off" in it's effort against an inferior team? Do you believe that The Covenant School did play with honor an integrity? Would you feel differently if the final score had been 90-10 or even 65-15? At what point do you cross a line in humiliating your opponent? Please feel free to send comments to coachscott@cspnonline.com.

Click here to read more.

No comments: